Friday, August 1, 2014

Walking Away or Walking Toward?

Found on Pinterest

Today, the stars aligned and The Cowboy was able to slip away from work at the same time our oldest boy could watch the kids - which happened to be at the same time I realized that I really needed a few minutes alone with my husband.  

Just like every day for the past few weeks, I was overwhelmed with God's goodness - and the consequences of that goodness.

It hit me, over my Turkey Bacon Avocado sandwich, that I needed more than a few minutes alone with my husband to properly handle all of the goodness (sometimes it comes in disguise too, you know) that the Lord was sending our way.

I keep thinking I'm going to blog about all of the wonderful, busy, crazy, awesome things God is doing in our lives right now - but when I have the time, I don't have the words.

Today some of the words spilled out at lunch:


There is so much going on right now - so much God is doing in our lives that I need to focus on, I think I need to let go of the blog.

The Cowboy thinks I should ratchet back my blogging time rather than quitting altogether.  

I don't know.  I'll take time to breathe deep, snuggle in close to the Lord's side, and pray, pray, pray...

The Cowboy and I have prayed for years that the Lord would use us - really use us.  We've wondered if this is really all the Lord would have for us to do: live normal lives and share Jesus where we're planted.

I think so.  I think the answer might be "yes, this is 'all' there is."  I want to believe that He wants me to minister to the poor in a foreign field, but maybe He really wants me to learn and grow while I weed corn and raise babies.  I want to believe that we're to give it all up and move to a third world country and pour out Jesus on those who don't know Him.  Maybe I really am supposed to vacuum my dining room more often, and pour more tea for those God is using differently than He is using us.

I don't know what God is doing, but I know that lately The Cowboy and I have been praying earnestly (and together) that He would order our days.  That He would bring people into our lives and use us to pour His love out on them.  That He would be the director of our days and nights.

And our crazy God took those request seriously.

I realize that we have prayed these prayers in the past, but it was as if we held on tightly to the reins - to make sure that God didn't get too crazy - to make sure we didn't find ourselves on a runaway.  Finally, we let go of the reins, grabbed on to God and said, "alright; we're in - just help us stay aboard, Lord!"

Every day I am slacked jawed as I see God at work all around us - and in us.  I think, when we began to pray earnestly a couple of weeks ago He must have thought, "well, finally!  I've been waiting for this!

And it seems to me that to continue to spend the time on my blog that I do is taking away from the work He has blessed us with.  


Every "yes" means saying "no" somewhere else.


Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe I'm not being called to let go of the blog.  For now, though, this passage comes to mind:


15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Ephesians 5)

 So, while I don't know my future, much less the future of this blog, for now I'm going to let go and throw myself into the work God has called us to.

May God bless you, my friend - and may none of us shrink back from the work the Lord has for us on this earth!

(As a completely unrelated aside, the amazing Mussers need your prayers.)


Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful writer and moreso, a wonderful seeker of God's wisdom. He will guide your path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blog Writer. You always leave such encouraging comments!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, I look forward to reading you EVERY time you post. I think because (just like this post) you say things all of the time that I want to say but just don't. I keep so much of my thoughts to myself and when I read this there are so many times I say, "if I could get this woman at my table face to face for half a second...." because I relate to you and when I think my thoughts are maybe NOT what I think I should be thinking about something you come out with how I think and seriously it takes a big weight off my shoulders, like, I'm not crazy,ha! I hope you don't stop, that is my selfish thoughts writing it out right there, I SAID IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlece. I would love it if we could sit down together and visit!

      Delete
  3. i'm fairly certain the answer isn't to vacuum more; possibly pour more tea - even that is up to the One Who orders our crazy and wonderful and sometimes, tedious days. I like the cowboy's counsel - ratchet back rather than out altogether. i read this tonight on my dear niece's blog: sans oxygen -- seemed fitting and hopefully encouraging, as you are.
    Here are 10 Steps to Becoming a Better Writer by Brian Clark:

    Write.
    Write more.
    Write even more.
    Write even more than that.
    Write when you don’t want to.
    Write when you do.
    Write when you have something to say.
    Write when you don’t.
    Write every day.
    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an inspiration to so many my friend! Love and Hugs!

    Mel

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE polite, kind, thoughtful comments. Please leave one (or more)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...